Leading people requires a very different skill set than those needed for managing the work of others.
A leader is someone who brings people together and guides them toward a common goal.
They set the target, the pace and the culture within an organization.
“The only definition of a leader is someone who has followers.” Peter Drucker
A leader is a constant presence of calm within the storm and encourages those they lead.
Regardless of your position in your organization, you can be a leader!
“The reality is that 99 percent of all leadership occurs not from the top but from the middle of the organization.”
Learning leadership skills and behaviors is one way to strengthen your ability to lead others but the Bible is also a great resource for learning leadership principles.
I’ve collected 25 verses that have inspired me and pray that God uses them to encourage and inspire you to be a better leader!
So what does the Bible say about leadership?
25 Inspiring Bible Verses About Leadership
1. “And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise.” Luke 6:31
2. “..he who is greatest among you, let him be as the younger, and he who governs as he who serves.” Luke 22:26
3. “He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.” Proverbs 16:32
4. “Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant,” Matthew 20:26
5. “Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.” Philippians 2:3-4
6. “A fool vents all his feelings, But a wise man holds them back.” Proverbs 29:11
7. “A good name is better than precious ointment, And the day of death than the day of one’s birth;” Ecclesiastes 7:1
8. “Also do not take to heart everything people say, Lest you hear your servant cursing you.” Ecclesiastes 7:21
9. “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.”
10. “If the ax is dull, And one does not sharpen the edge, Then he must use more strength….” Ecclesiastes 10:10
11. “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.”
12. “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Romans 12:21
13. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” Galatians 5:22
14. “Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.”
15. “So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart, And guided them by the skillfulness of his hands.” Psalms 78:72
16. “For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. Romans 12:3
17. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
18. “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness.” 2 Timothy 2:15-16
19. “Without counsel plans go awry, But in the multitude of counselors they are established.” Proverbs 15:22
20. “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9
21. “Whoever guards his mouth and tongue, Keeps his soul from troubles.”
22. “Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, For he will despise the wisdom of your words.” Proverbs 23:9
23. “If you faint in the day of adversity, Your strength is small.” Proverbs 24:10
24. “Where there is no wood, the fire goes out; And where there is no talebearer, strife ceases.” Proverbs 26:20
25. “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;” Philippians 1:6
What leadership verses would you add to this list?
These verses are taken from the New King James Version at Bible Gateway.